Taste Showdown #4 - Manda vs DD Smoked Sausage




My love of smoked sausage started in my childhood.  I recall my mother making wonderful smoked sausage sandwiches for breakfast or lunch.  I loved eating smoked sausage po-boys, the taste of good smoked sausage in red beans and in smothered potatoes and especially sausage in seafood boils. Ok, I better stop now because I’m starting to get hungry! 😊

When I attended college in New Orleans, I was exposed to both Manda smoked sausage and DD smoked sausage (also called Double D or D&D by the locals).   Manda sausage originated from Baton Rouge and DD smoked sausage was made in New Orleans (but is now made in Bogalusa post-Katrina).  Both sausages were in high demand in south Louisiana because of the delicious flavor that the sausages added to cooked dishes.  I met die-hard fans that swore that they would only eat either Manda or DD smoked sausage.       

I used both Manda smoked sausage and DD smoked sausages in my recipes including smothered okra, file` gumbo, seafood boils, red beans, jambalaya and dirty rice.  When I buy smoked sausage, I am looking for the following qualities:
  • Deep smoked flavor and darker pink/reddish color
  • Sausage Casing that is not rubbery or too tough
  • Flavor of the meat (not too salty, but well-seasoned)
  • Not too oily when cooked
  • Good consistency when cooked on high heat for long periods of time





Both Manda and DD Smoked sausage have great smoked flavor, have a darker color and are well-seasoned with enough salt, garlic and onion.  Also, both sausages are not too oily when pan fried, grilled, microwaved or sautéed. 


I found that Manda smoked sausage holds up a little better under high heat in dishes such as smothered potatoes, gumbo, jambalaya and dirty rice.  However, DD Smoked Sausage is the clear winner for smoked sausage po-boys. in seafood boils or corn & potato boils.  

My palate picks up relatively little difference in overall taste and consistency.  Overall, this showdown decision comes down to personal preference.   Based on my preference, I’m choosing Manda Smoked Sausage as the winner of this taste showdown.

Leave a comment below.

Published by Adina T. Collins, 2019





Follow Dina’s Creole Table on Instagram, Pinterest & Facebook.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taste Showdown #2 – Tony Chachere’s vs Zatarain’s Creole Seasoning

Taste Showdown #3 - Louisiana Brand vs Zatarain's Fish Fry