Taste Showdown #5 - Abita vs Barq's Root Beer



How many of you grew up drinking root beer or enjoying root beer floats?  

Growing up in northern Louisiana we primarily had access to A&W and Barq’s Root Beer.  My parents occasionally treated me and my brother to root beer or root beer floats.  I liked the taste of root beer because it wasn’t super sweet, but it had a slightly sharp after taste.  When I drank root beer, it had to be very cold and I had to have lots of ice in my glass.

When I attended graduate school in New Orleans in the early 2000’s, I was introduced to Abita Root Beer.  Abita Root Beer was produced by the Abita Bottled Water Company which was located in Abita Springs, approximately 30 miles north of New Orleans.  Barq’s Root Beer on the other hand was produced in New Orleans.

Barq’s advertising slogan was “Barq’s has bite.”  Both Barq’s and Abita Root Beer are best enjoyed in cold glass bottles.




Both root beers are very tasty.  Barq’s root beer has a crisp taste and really does have bite.  When I drink root beer with a meal, I prefer Abita Root Beer because it’s smooth and less carbonated.  However, when I want to enjoy a root beer by itself, I want a Barq’s Root Beer.  Abita and Barq’s make wonderful root beer floats.

Although I do have great childhood memories of Barq’s, my grown up palate prefers Abita Root Beer.  Abita is the winner of this taste showdown.

Leave a comment below.

Published by Adina T. Collins, 2019





Follow Dina’s Creole Table on Instagram, Pinterest & Facebook.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taste Showdown #2 – Tony Chachere’s vs Zatarain’s Creole Seasoning

Taste Showdown #3 - Louisiana Brand vs Zatarain's Fish Fry

Taste Showdown #4 - Manda vs DD Smoked Sausage