What Was the First Creole Dish You Ate?



This weekend, I’ve been feeling quite nostalgic because I’m missing both of my grandmas and probably because the Thanksgiving holiday is a few weeks away.   

I grew up in northern Louisiana, the product of two parents who were born and raised in New Orleans.  During my childhood, my south Louisiana relatives visited us a few times per year and my brother and I spent many summers in New Orleans.

Growing up, I was really blessed to learn to make certain dishes from both of grandmas who were both lived in New Orleans. My maternal grandmother Marion was a skilled cook that could make anything taste good including your fingers, SMILE.  However, my paternal grandmother Lu(cille) was not a great cook, but she did make two dishes very well, Cornbread Dressing and Shrimp Stew.

My first Creole dish that I remember eatin as a 5-year old child was my Grandma Lu’s Shrimp Stew.  She always called her dish "Shrimp Stew” which I realized later was really Shrimp Creole. 

What’s the difference between Shrimp Stew and Shrimp Creole?  Well, Shrimp Stew typically has a roux (flour and oil) base and is typically a medium brown color.  Stewed dishes have a brown gravy, if you will.  Shrimp Creole, however, is made from a tomato base (either sauce or paste). 

There was something so tasty to me about the marriage of shrimp, tomato sauce, onions, bell peppers, garlic and other dried seasonings over long-grain rice.  Most importantly, I remember the pride and the love that Grandma Lu displayed when she fed her children, grandchildren and extended family this dish.  I think she knew that we really enjoyed her “Shrimp Stew” and always asked for seconds.  Sometimes I wish I could sit down at her old kitchen table and feed her my own version of Shrimp Creole that I learned from her.

How many of you remember the first Louisiana Creole dish that you ate and what was it?

Published by Adina T. Collins, 2019


Follow Dina’s Creole Table on InstagramPinterest & Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taste Showdown #2 – Tony Chachere’s vs Zatarain’s Creole Seasoning

Taste Showdown #3 - Louisiana Brand vs Zatarain's Fish Fry

Taste Showdown #4 - Manda vs DD Smoked Sausage